ESF 3.0 is now synchronized with the release of Kura, the open source project within the Eclipse IoT Working Group.
AMARO (Italy) - January 13, 2015 – Eurotech, a leading supplier of embedded technologies, products and systems, announced the official release of ESF 3.0, the Java OSGi software framework for M2M multiservice gateways and smart devices. Starting with ESF release 3.0, ESF is leveraging Kura 1.0, the mature open source project donated by Eurotech to the Eclipse Foundation.
ESF acts as the bridge between the private device network and the local network, public Internet, or cellular network. It provides a secure, reliable and optimized data transmission mechanism between edge nodes (sensors, actuators and human-machine interfaces)and cloud platforms through M2M/IoT optimized protocols like MQTT.
Java software developers focused on M2M and IoT applications, can take advantage of ESF software framework, which is fully supported by Eurotech, natively integrated with Everyware Cloud (the Eurotech’s M2M/IoT Integration Platform) and tightly integrated with industrial and rugged hardware like ReliaGATE 10-20, ReliaGATE 15-10, ReliaSENS 18-12 by Eurotech or other hardware platforms by 3rd party OEMs.
The new features included in ESF enable a complete set of powerful remote device management operations, over MQTT, either on demand or on schedule, interacting with the Everyware Cloud Web Console. These include device provisioning, device update, device control, device configuration, device diagnostics and device monitoring.
ESF offers a development environment for Java programmers that radically simplifies the creation of embedded applications. ESF provides a set of common services for Java developers building M2M applications, including I/O access, data services, network configuration and remote management.
Other new features enabled by ESF 3.0 are:
• PCN Bundles: the People Counter smart sensor, by Eurotech, is used in several vertical applications, from mass transportation vehicles to public places (like airports, railway stations, shopping malls) to count and monitor the flow of people in real time and perform data analysis and intelligence.
• Reverse NAT: this feature makes ESF's networking capabilities more powerful. Now you can hide an entire private net set of addresses/ports behind a single valid Internet address and manage the translation locally and centrally.
• BeagleBone Black and RaspberryPi support: ESF runs on most popular Open HW platforms.
• Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.7: always up-to-date with JRE
• I2C, PWI, SPI, GPIO (P4J) support: the ESF’s device abstraction layer gets richer
and richer and makes them available through the Java API.
• Eclipse Concierge OSGI Support: in addition to Equinox, ESF now supports also the new Concierge lightweight container provided under the Eclipse IOT Working group.
• PPP Link improvements: A new and improved version of the Paho MQTT client, included in ESF to enhance the reliability of the MQTT sessions.
• Everyware VPN: ESF now includes a new software service, the Everyware VPN, which allows the remote connection to devices within secure networks, enabling easy remote access to your devices through the cloud.
“We continue to focus and invest in making IoT/M2M projects easier and faster for organizations to deploy as well as more secure,” said Andrea Ceiner, Group Product Marketing Manager for the M2M/IoT line of business at Eurotech. “With ESF for M2M gateways and smart devices on one side, and Everyware Cloud as the M2M Integration Platform on the other side, Eurotech offers the foundation for solid M2M/IoT solutions.”
By using ESF our customers will take advantage of the following benefits:
• Reduced development time > Shorter time to market
• Focus on the application, … > Reduced development costs & project’s risks
• … ESF takes care of the rest > Programmer with knowledge of Java language and no expertise in the M2M domain can create the device software applications
• Reuse API and existing applications > Reduced development costs
• Portable, robust code > Higher quality software, portable onto different HW platform & architectures of different OEMs
• Device Hardware virtualization > Better investment protection
• More deterministic project execution > Higher likelihood of meeting project deadlines
• Open Standards based > Future-proofed, Investment protection
• Remote app management > Extended product lifecycle
• Security > Reduce operational risks
Eurotech is strongly committed to M2M/IoT and works to encapsulate the complexity of the operational technologies into a cost-effective, simple to use and powerful software framework and integration platform. The rapid development of the global IoT market will increase the complexity at the edge of the network and we will continue to manage this complexity for our customers to ensure efficient development, deployment and management of distributed intelligent devices in the field throughout their lifetime.