The RiderNet system offers bus operators a turn-key solution for bringing high speed Internet access to passengers. Developed for commuter transit and private coach installations, RiderNet connects wireless (802.11) subscribers to a high-speed cellular backhaul.
RiderNet is the most robust and affordable wireless Internet access solution available today for transit vehicles. Multiple business models are supported including free, pay-per-use, and subscription service. The solution is purpose-built for the harsh vehicle environment and includes vehicle-specific features such as keep-alive and ignition power sensing.
To begin surfing, passengers need simply to enable the wireless radio on their laptop, associate with the system SSID, open a web browser, and click through a standard splash page.
Benefits to Transit Operators:
Benefits to Passengers:
- Increase ridership by adding value for commuters
- Hassle-free managed service w/turn-key operation
- Reliable, vehicle-grade equipment
- Connect via wireless to on-board systems (AVL/AVM)
- Simple installation procedure
- Additional revenue stream for optional subscription service
- Low infrastructure costs (uses public cellular network)
- Increase productivity for commuters
- Allow customers to check email, visit websites, and use VPN connections at broadband speeds from any Wi-Fi-enabled laptop or PDA
- Give customers one more reason to use mass transit