Oracle, Eurotech, Hitachi Communication Technologies America and Hitachi Consulting collaborate to present a live, conference attendee People Counter solution
Redwood Shores, Calif. – September 11, 2013
A joint initiative between Oracle, Eurotech, Hitachi Communication Technologies America (Hitachi CTA) and Hitachi Consulting has led to the creation of a new demonstration of the Internet of Things (IoT) concept: “IoT in Motion – Driving Business Value from Edge Device to Application
”. The people counter solution is based on a unique blend of cutting-edge Eurotech hardware, Hitachi SuperJ® Applications Ecosystem, Oracle Java SE Embedded, Oracle Fusion Middleware and Oracle Business Intelligence products and will be showcased at the JavaOne and Oracle OpenWorld San Francisco 2013 conferences, running September 22-26.
- Working collaboratively, Oracle, Eurotech, Hitachi CTA and Hitachi Consulting will demonstrate IoT in Motion – Driving Business Value from Edge Device to Application at JavaOne and Oracle OpenWorld San Francisco 2013. Attendees will be anonymously counted at numerous locations throughout the conferences and trend data and analytics of those traffic patterns will be presented during the JavaOne Strategy Keynote, on Sunday, September 22 at noon and the Oracle OpenWorld keynote “Unlocking Innovation and the Value of Embedded Intelligence on Devices” on Thursday, September 26 from 8:45 a.m.–10:30 a.m. both located at Moscone North, Hall D.
- This seamless integration of sophisticated technology with highly experienced consulting know-how illuminates the dramatic power of the Internet of Things and how businesses can extract value from device-generated data. Employing Machine-to-Machine (M2M) technologies to collect data that can then be aggregated and analyzed to help identify and resolve issues can be used in many scenarios, for example: improving public transit efficiencies, services and fare collection; implementing better safety and evacuation strategies in public places; delivering proximity marketing in the retail sector and reducing wait times.
- Development of IoT in Motion took less than 6 weeks, highlighting the ease of implementation, time-to-market and return on investment possibilities of Oracle’s Internet of Things platform, along with Eurotech, Hitachi CTA and Hitachi Consulting’s technology and services.
- A broad range of industries already leverage IoT technology to grow their businesses and enhance their profits. IoT in Motion illustrates the future of end-to-end data collection and management technologies. Previously, IoT implementations were bogged down with cumbersome and complex specialized software and hardware configurations. But IoT in Motion illustrates the proven development and flexibility advantages of Java for embedded development, the use of OSGi for modularity and scalability for efficient application design and Eurotech’s Everyware Software Framework (ESF) for rich tools and data connectivity simplicity.
- Oracle, Eurotech, Hitachi CTA and Hitachi Consulting have the depth of experience and resources to provide cost-effective and efficient end-to-end solutions in the emerging category of the Internet of Things. The opportunity for Java developers and Oracle consultants to create new solutions and applications is virtually limitless. Each member is critical to the solution:
- Oracle technology is used across the board: Oracle Java SE Embedded runs on the Eurotech ReliaGATE multiservice gateways; device management and data analysis is performed on an Oracle Exalytics engineered system; Oracle Event Processing maintains a real time running count of people walking into a given location, providing a current count of occupancy levels and traffic flow; Oracle Database stores data for post processing; Oracle Business Intelligence Foundation Suite, running on Oracle Exalytics, performs the data analysis of aggregations, trends and location, as well as drill-downs via advanced visualizations centered around Oracle Business Intelligence Interactive Dashboards.
- Eurotech DynaPCN people counters use sophisticated sensor technology to accurately count people moving through doorways. That technology connects to the programmable Eurotech ReliaGATE 50-21 multiservice gateways that aggregate the data and send it into the Eurotech Everyware Cloud. The Eurotech devices host the ESF, built on Hitachi CTA SuperJ® platform and running Oracle Java SE Embedded, to enable application portability across platforms and simplify device-based application development.
- Hitachi CTA, a Diamond level member of Oracle PartnerNetwork (OPN) provides its SuperJ® Applications Ecosystem, a middleware platform that complements Java SE Embedded, supporting application development and lifecycle management, interface abstraction and allowing upgrade without impact on active operation. SuperJ® supports multiple independent applications on the same device hardware, adding to the versatility and flexibility of the system.
- Hitachi Consulting, a Diamond level member of OPN, collaborated in the architectural design of IoT in Motion – Driving Business Value from Edge Device to Application and spearheaded the development of the business intelligence dashboards, leveraging decades of experience implementing Oracle solutions. Bringing Java, Oracle Fusion Middleware and Business Intelligence development and consulting experience to the team, Hitachi Consulting is the preferred consulting, implementation and hosting partner for this solution.
- IoT in Motion will also be shown on a running basis throughout JavaOne and Oracle OpenWorld 2013 at:
- Java DEMOgrounds and OTN Lounge at JavaOne (#5207)
- Eurotech booth at JavaOne (#5616)
- Hitachi CTA booth at JavaOne (#5507)
- Hitachi Consulting booth at Oracle OpenWorld (#1901 Moscone South)
- JavaOne 2013 Session ID: CON7824 - The Enterprise of Things: Extending the Enterprise from the Data Center to Devices on Thursday, September 26 from 12:30-1:30 p.m. in the Hotel Nikko, Monterey I/II
- 17 Eurotech People Counters will be installed at a variety of locations at JavaOne and Oracle OpenWorld including:
- Moscone North, Hall D – JavaOne and Oracle OpenWorld keynotes
- Java Exhibition Hall (Hilton San Francisco Union Square)
- JavaOne registration area (Hilton San Francisco Union Square)
- Java DEMOgrounds and OTN Lounge at JavaOne (#5207)
- Eurotech booth at JavaOne (#5616)
- Hitachi CTA booth at JavaOne (#5507)
- Hitachi Consulting booth at the Oracle OpenWorld exhibition hall (#1901 Moscone South)
- “The IoT in Motion demonstration became a reality because of the project team’s unique blend of technology and experience,” said Peter Utzschneider, Oracle VP of Product Management. “This live demonstration of Oracle’s Internet of Things platform featuring Oracle Java SE Embedded technology can easily be adapted to exciting new market opportunities in retail, transportation, media and entertainment, as well as public safety, where people count the most.”
- “IoT in Motion- Driving Business Value from Edge Device to Application shows the software and hardware building blocks that enable fast and simplified creation of Internet of Things services and applications,” explains Robert Andres, Chief Marketing Officer at Eurotech. “As data increasingly drives decisions for businesses, the IoT in Motion project demonstrates how collaborative solutions make collection, analysis and value of data attainable for companies of any size, in any location.”
- “Hitachi Communication Technologies America is excited to participate with Oracle, Hitachi Consulting, and Eurotech in this groundbreaking demonstration of a real world Internet of Things application that encompasses all solution elements from the embedded device to the processing in the cloud,” said David Foote, CTO of Hitachi CTA. “The project team has the spot-on technology and know-how to make end-to-end solutions a reality in a wide variety of enterprises and industries.”
- “Bringing to life IoT in Motion- Driving Business Value from Edge Device to Application requires multidisciplinary consulting and cutting-edge platforms, engineered to work together,” said Phil Regnault, Hitachi Consulting Vice President, Oracle Solutions. “This unique collaboration between Hitachi Consulting, Hitachi Communication Technologies America, Eurotech, and Oracle represents the most innovative and reliable combination of skills, technology, and experience available in the device to datacenter market today.”
The JavaOne conference brings together Java experts and enthusiasts for an extraordinary week of learning and networking focused entirely on all things Java. With more than 450 sessions covering topics that span the breadth of the Java universe, keynotes from foremost Java visionaries, tutorials, and expert-led hands-on learning opportunities, JavaOne is the world's most important event for the Java community. JavaOne 2013 is being held September 22-26 at the Zone (Hilton San Francisco Union Square, Hotel Nikko and Parc 55 Wyndham). For more information or to register
, please visit www.oracle.com/javaone
. Join the JavaOne discussion on Twitter
, the JavaOne blog
and the Java Source Blog
About Oracle OpenWorld
Oracle OpenWorld San Francisco is the most important educational and networking event of the year for Oracle technologists, customers, and partners. This information technology event is dedicated to helping businesses optimize existing systems and understand upcoming technology breakthroughs. The conference, which is expected to draw more than 60,000 attendees from over 122 countries, offers more than 2,500 educational sessions, 400 product demos, exhibitions from 475 partners showcasing applications, middleware, database, server and storage systems, industries, management and infrastructure — all engineered for innovation. Oracle OpenWorld 2013 is being held September 22-26 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco. For more information or to register
, please visit www.oracle.com/openworld
. Watch Oracle OpenWorld keynotes, sessions and more live on YouTube
. Join the Oracle OpenWorld discussion on Twitter
and the Oracle OpenWorld Blog
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NYSE:ORCL), visit www.oracle.com
Eurotech is a listed global company (ETH.MI) that integrates hardware, software, services and expertise to deliver embedded computing platforms and sub-systems to leading OEMs, system integrators and enterprise customers for successful and efficient deployment of their products and services. Drawing on concepts of minimalist computing, Eurotech lowers power draw, minimizes physical size and reduces coding complexity to bring sensors, embedded platforms, sub-systems, ready-to-use devices and high performance computers to market, specializing in defense, transportation, industrial and medical segments. By combining domain expertise in wireless connectivity as well as communications protocols, Eurotech architects platforms that simplify data capture, processing and transfer over unified communications networks. Our customers rely on us to simplify their access to state-of-art embedded technologies so they can focus on their core competencies. Learn more about Eurotech at www.eurotech.com
About Hitachi Communication Technologies America, Inc.
Hitachi Communication Technologies America, Inc., an Oracle Diamond Partner, is a subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd. The company develops, manufactures and markets solutions for communications service providers and enterprises in the Americas. The company offers software platforms for subscriber “connected home” and “machine-to-machine” (M2M) applications deployment and management, products and technologies for wireless network operators with focus on 4G/LTE Evolved Packet Core and small cell solutions, and high-speed optical networking equipment for long haul, metro and data center applications. For more information about Hitachi Communication Technologies America, please visit www.hitachi-cta.com
About Hitachi Consulting
Hitachi Consulting, a Diamond level member of OPN is the global management consulting and IT services business of Hitachi Ltd., a global technology leader and a catalyst of sustainable societal change. In that same spirit—and building on its technology heritage—Hitachi Consulting is a catalyst of positive business change, propelling companies ahead by enabling superior operational performance. Working within their existing processes and focusing on targeted functional challenges, we help our clients respond to dynamic global change with insight and agility. Our unique approach delivers measurable, sustainable business results and a better consulting experience. For more information visit: www.hitachiconsulting.com/oracle
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.